Wednesday 1 May 2013

OUGD406: Indesign


For one of the Design principles sessions we were tasked with creating mock-up spreads, I used this to experiment with layout and give me inspiration for this task


From that I then created a design sheet centered around the Aardvark, I came up with the title of A for Aardvark for the spread, I wanted to make it rather laid back and not to serious or in-depth. Something that would perhaps interest anyone. I really enjoyed experimenting with my thumbnails and I think I came up with some good solutions having not really done a double page spread on this scale before!.


It took me some getting used to indesign as I was relatively new to it and Phil's crash course in it was really useful, I used the rectangle and using the arrow keys to create grids the best solution and fastest for setting up a document.


I also discovered how to round corners!


I'm a bit better with indesign now, I find it relatively quick to work around in especially over photoshop and illustrator when it comes to doing type work, makes sense because that's what it's for.
I wanted the image on the spread to blend into the background, I found with the previous ones I used that they were just awkward to work with and I thought by doing this I could be more experimental? I really liked on the picture how the aardvark was illustrated.



I found justification worked the best, I don't know if was just how it looked, but I feel like im cheating when I do use justification, I found a way online to remove the huge gaps that it leaves behind however to make it look a lot more natural 



On the bottom of the images I added a green bar, I didn't like how they faded on the bottoms and I thought it was perhaps guide you better due to it been solid green. It finished it off rather well.



I drew out the words A for Aardvark and then live traced them quickly to then put it in as the title, I thought this worked really well along side the illustrations, It's kinda of rough and sketchy but It fit in with the look I was aiming for and I think i did rather well at achieving that.




No comments:

Post a Comment