Sunday 28 October 2012

Print Room Workshop

We had a print room workshop, which was really cool, got shown how to do mono-prints, lino-prints and then wood-block type work. I went straight to the type, I've developed a fear for the lino-cutting tools from college. Along with that, I wasn't really that interested in the mono-prints, I never felt the outcomes where all that. Up there. Until I'm convinced otherwise I don't think I'm going to yet attempt it.


As I went straight for the wood-block, we were given two big boxes of assorted letters, seen above and two chest of shelves which were all sorted. Lovely. I created the word goose, below, using the assorted, didn't realise the E was actually a 9. Nevermind.


After we were done with the letters we then had to clean them all, the yellow was oil to get off the ink, then the blue was washing up liquid to then clean them. After that we were to put them back. I actually got some enjoyment out of this, it was pretty satisfying to clean the letters. 


I wanted to perfectly create a piece, one of the tutors (forget their names, I'm terrible) showed me that taping them together works really well so I choose to write out the shining because I thought it looked really similar to the letters in the sorted sets. I can't remember the typeface however. This worked out really well I admit, the ink comes off so nice, the aesthetic of them is amazing, the slightly off perfect non-digital lettering. Printed with wood. It's crazy.



I wanted to experiment some more, so I wrote out 'A Clockwork Orange', yeah bit of a Kubrick fan, anyway. This time using the serif sorted typefaces. Accidently used a hyphen instead of a full-stop. Didn't bother to change it instead moved onto a different title. To put ink on these we used rollers and ink we rollered on only but pushing, not push and pulling. This created a uneven coating, so only push, or only pull.


No comments:

Post a Comment