Thursday 17 January 2013

Postcard Production

In response to the word I received: X, I wanted to try and align the overhead piping and lighting together to try and create the X's. I did this because throughout the college there wasn't all that big of a deal of X's, plenty of squares and circles and triangles and the likes but not alot of X's. I went around college taking photographs of these with my phone to get an idea of where I want to go.




I decided I really liked these samples, my favorite was the crossing of the red lighting, which worked really well against the lighting below, I then attempted this with alot more crossing things...




 By this point I felt like I had exhausted all the possible X's I could find, because alot of them ended up been too similar so I attempted to create my own with the pool cues, I liked it but I don't really think It fit in with the theme generally.



The last place I went to get some more was in the library which was really hard to align the X's up with because of all the shelving in the way but I managed, the scanner was also cross, so I got a cheeky photo of that. I really liked this idea as a concept because I thought it was quite enjoyable to try and align the shapes and piping on the ceilings. I could develop it by adding a section to show how I got that photograph, or even having just the X's unaligned to explore what i'd be like to be halfway.



After Simon's Photoshop software induction I thought i'd explore the potential of photographically manipulating them, but I wasn't all to happy with any of the most basic ones. I wasn't inspired to take this any further because I really did like the images just as they were, I thought it was important just to explore what it'd be like to do if I had taken that route and I couldn't really see any possible way for me to manipulate them in a way I'd be happy with. Or satisfied.










From the quality of these photographs too it became apparent that I needed to photograph them at a higher quality, I used my DSLR to do this, It also give me time to explore the possibility of how to develop my concept for the postcards, taking use of both sides I thought i'd be a good idea to show both the X aligned and unaligned to create 2 different perspectives on the exact same thing. I really liked to the outcome of the photographs, I edited these in lightroom (because I was able to take advantage of them been taken in raw, which was non-destructive, just like the techniques taught in the Photoshop induction.)



I took 58 different images for this, from new and old spots because I took to finding alot more and trying harder to align different spots, my favorite been the one below of the stairs to the lecture where I had to stand on the balcony and then below to create the different perspectives and I thought it was incredibly effective.




I also edited the ones with the red lighting to decrease their saturation because it was showing up on the Gamut warning when I exported them into Photoshop to double check, so I applied that change through the Hue/Saturation bar. Since it was already red, I couldn't change it to a different colour to get rid of it so making it duller was the only option.



No comments:

Post a Comment