Wednesday 9 October 2013

Logo Concept Workshop

For todays session we had to bring in 5 logos each, knowing facts about them and to later describe them in groups. Lorraine's example of Nasa I found really interesting to start with. It's the pre-1992 Nasa logo which was rebranded after the Challenger accident.


We talked about what we thought it represented, The tubes been akin to the lifelines the astronauts use while they're in space, what the connection between the A-S represented. Within the abbreviation of NASA: 'National Aeronautics and Space Administration.' I believe it's to represent the fact that Aeronautics and Space are interlinked together as a word. So it's similar to using an ampersand. Also why they used red, was discussed: Red represented adventure and going forward and danger. etc.

My logo choices:



I picked logos that I really remember well, Boots, Marks & Spencer, TY and Radio 3 been the examples there. Oakfurnitureland been the extra that I despise for been hideous.


BBC Radio 3 I thought had a really cool concept behind it, as well as been executed rather well too, been for the classical radio genre, Radio 3 play with that by using an F clef for it's upper part. I thought it was incredibly clever. Even if you don't know what music symbol it is, you still instantly recognise and expect what music is gonna be played on it.

I talked to the group about what I thought about all the rest, history, concept, colour, type and It created some good discussion although it wasn't as long as everyone else because I was last and I didn't want to keep everyone waiting any longer. Throughout everyone else's we had a good chat though about the logos, It was really interesting to see what everyone else had to because it was a really diverse collection of logos picked.




Joe



Joe brought in some interesting Logos, the one we talked about the most been Tate & Lyle granulated sugar as we were all a bit unsure on what the significance of the logo been split up into cubes and strands was until we came to an agreement that it was to do with Sugar cubes and sugar canes. Plus been to do with stamping as it was interesting at how well it would work as a stencil if it was used. 

This is one of the logos I want to look into later as I'm rather interested in the reasons behind the points made in the discussion above and to find more out about the colour scheme because they seem to be meaning something due to been colour coded but I'm not too sure to the reasons behind them at all.




Will



Will's Burger Factory logo he picked sparked a lot of hate, the reasons a lot of us didn't really like it been down to it's aesthetics and over all feel it was creating. The use of the black on what looks like chip-board or a dusty floor doesn't really incite you to want to go eat there, rather the opposite. 

The use of a black gear reminds me of a victorian sutty factory works. What they're doing within the logo is good, separating the words Burger and factory, making sure the burger comes first but the image it's surrounded by doesn't really attract me if I ever saw it. 

We all agreed we liked the stussy logo, for it's graffiti and hand drawn aesthetic we all thought that was pleasing, The D&AD logo we however didn't understand. The shape and and the overall concept.




Issy


I pointed out that Issy's logo for the Smokey's fish house that makes a S within the fish looked a bit too well done for what it is. It looked fabricated just for the purpose of creating an S within the fish. If it was a smoke fish house I'd doubt they'd be using such a modern logo like that. 

I turned out to be correct, I found the logo while looking for it on a Logo concept website. It just looks too good to be true for a company, It looks good but it doesn't look like it'd be actually be used. The other logo's she picked were also the same. 

That's not to say I don't like the logos, I do, but they feel a bit cheap to me. We all thought they were clever over substance, but that's exactly what they're attempting to be so I guess we were right there.



Sam



I really liked the logo's sam picked, especially the Zulu Safari one, the Z and S come together to form a nose form in the negative space, it's a real cool concept I wouldn't have noticed. The same goes for the Sony Vaio logo, which again I hadn't noticed. It's only when it's pointed out how good it is. I think it would be even more obvious if the I wasn't bent at the top. 

The other two I felt were hit and miss, I'm not to sure on the More 4 logo, but the Museum of London logo is a bit obnoxious, I totally get the idea they're going for but It could have been done with a bit more style to it, The concept is all the but the execution is off. Maybe if they used contour lines instead of the fill, I'm unsure of what the colours represent.



Rinesh



I'm unsure of meaning behind the Hundreds and Supreme logo's, I personally thought supreme was a off-shoot of OBEY or something. The bomb reminds me of the Bomb-omb from Super Mario, I wouldn't be surprised if this was their inspiration. 

The Fed-ex Logo and the Light box theatre logos were both great




Charlie




-







No comments:

Post a Comment