Friday 29 November 2013

Design for Print: Book binding prototyping

I had perfect binding in mind as it interested me, It seemed really fitting as a method to do to make a book that would give me flexibility and a backup and it's be a lot more repairable if I was able to change individual signatures instead of a full spread that'd be sewn into the book. 

I was partly inspired by Craig Oldham's book (format not design), simply because It did offer me option to make a book that would show physical substance, and the book would be a lot more resilient to damage compared to a paper book like my previous products I've made which become dog eared.

I made a paper option during the mocking up of my mount board prototype as a back-up for if the idea didn't go through I still had an escape plan.


I chopped up some spare mount-board to create as my first mock-up using perfect binding.


And along with that at the same time to streamline the process, I cut up from paper, the difference being that I had to have grey-board stuck to either side to protect the paper due to it been much weaker in comparison to mount board.




Books in the clamps with their PVA applied and ready to be covered with scrim.







More clamping.




Th


As the plain paper one required a cover I decided to just cover it really simply for the time being as it was a prototype. I wasn't to bothered about this for now as I was more interested in how the paper reacted when it was bound.






The pages in this book turn really nice, the only down side is that it doesn't lay down flat which would be a really nice aspect to the book I would like to have. It seems a lot more fragile compared to mount board one however, simply because the paper has less surface area to be glued down by.


I applied some buckrum to the spine, but then i realised I couldn't really do this for the final thing because It would be hard to find a match for the colours I'd be printing with. Sarah in Rossington street suggested putting Acrylic paint into the PVA which is used and applied on the spine area and as well on top of the scrim.


No comments:

Post a Comment