Saturday 19 April 2014

Cath Kidston Evaluation

Cath Kidston are the home of the Modern Vintage, bringing nostalgia to life with their bits and pieces, updating the traditional with an modern new take. They sell contemporary classics and reinvent old favorites.

For the brief they wanted a new conversational print made which takes into account the brand’s values and print styles. Following on from such themes as evoking nostalgia and reinvention yet still been fresh and distinctive.

The problem I had with the initial start of the brief was that I struggled in finding a brief I was comfortable with which took me so long to get started with Cath Kidston, because originally I had picked Oasis however I felt very disinterested in it the more I researched it.

I decided to pick this brief after dropping the YCN Oasis brief because I felt like It’d relate with me more because I’ve been making patterns for the past year in briefs as it was a bit of an interest I had. I thought this would be a good opportunity to really explore that with Cath Kidston.

My concept was to represent the classic British picnic and attempt to evoke those emotions and feelings that people associate with the activity, like nostalgia. As well as that it would allow them to reminiscence on memories with friends and make it the center of a conversation.

However I wouldn’t say I’m overly too happy with the outcome looking back to evaluate it. Mostly because it didn’t turn out how I imagined it to visually, yet I’m still rather happy with the concept behind it. I just wasn’t able to execute it how I thing would have best, although I believe It does fit in with the Cath Kidston brand.


I wish I had done more YCN or D&AD briefs but I didn’t feel too confident going against the competition that they present because I was unsure If I’d be able to create a concept good enough for the briefs so I although I did go for Cath Kidston because it was something I was interested in. I wasn’t really sure how I’d do with any of the other briefs and so therefore I didn’t push my self to do anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment