Saturday 19 April 2014

Tigerprint Evaluation

Tigerprint are the sole source card makers for Marks and Spencer’s, every month they launch a competition on their website to create patterns and prints.

The brief in March was to create a black and white surface pattern that could be used on cards and other surfaces.

My concept behind the card designs was to use the theme of woodland critters as well as trees, using their faces and trees to create a pattern. I went with this because I wanted it’s a fairly neutral theme that could be used on range of things, however I think here I didn’t really hit the mark with the brief. Although I think they could work for wrapping paper and stationery products I don’t think it would be applicable on a greetings card.

Unlike with Cath Kidston, I’m happy with the visual for these but for a change I’m not with the concept. Particularly because I didn’t want to do something that would be too obvious, so I thought I’d do something near me, woods, and I don’t think it was too applicable for cards but I liked the thought of it.

However my design didn’t end up been in the selected for the winning entries, the winning print was a floral print, which personally defeated the purpose of the competition that was looking for something new, when they already do floral. Which seems to defeat the purpose of it.

Looking back I think I should have spent more time mulling over what the most appropriate visuals and concept was for the card was instead of rushing into it because I wanted to get it down within the day I set my self. Which was what I had done for the previous ones where I had spent awhile thinking on it before acting on it.

                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment