Saturday 19 April 2014

(Collaborative) Redrow Evaluation

Redrow are one the UK’s largest house builders, building up to 3,000 houses per year across England and Wales. To build these houses Redrow requires a workforce behind it consisting of: Builders, Sales representatives and Quantity surveyors amongst others.

The brief was to dispel the myth that jobs offered by Redrow and the house building industry consists of just manual labour and promote what Redrow has to offer new recruits.

For this brief I partnered with Ellen Setterfield due to our similar interests in Web design to use one of the briefs to explore that interest further. I felt this pairing worked really well for the both of us, as although we do both share that interest, our interests concerning Graphic design outside of that were mostly different. I am more interested in the illustration side and Ellen is more interested with grid, layout and information graphics. This made sorting who does what an easy task.

I learnt a lot from this brief the most out of all the other ones, although I was highly motivated for this brief at the start because of a concept we were both really happy with and thought was really quite strong. The illustration that was my job and it really dragged it’s self out more then it really should have what we had planned been rather ambitious, although that was mostly down to me. Although I’m really happy with out it turned out overall, I don’t feel as though between us we spent the same amount of time on the brief individually. It’s not something that we could have changed but it’s just how it ended up.

However after it was done, it was great to be able to use the work that Ellen had created and been able to slot it in easily in the placeholders and see it all come to life and even more when we placed it within mock-ups. Although we both thought our concept was pretty strong, we struggled in when it came to the end and creating the boards to fully show this off because of the format we had chosen (on a laptop/desktop) it was hard to show how it would properly work without using video or a format we felt was inappropriate for the target audience, such as an Ipad. Which for a student moving up to college probably wouldn’t be accessing the site with if they were looking for an apprenticeship.


Overall I’m really happy with the brief and its turn out, it’s not something I’d usually go for and I think that is really what I liked most about it. The fact that it was out of my comfort zone and exploring that made me want to carry on with it, even though it did drag out. That’s not to mean I didn’t enjoy what I was doing because I did and I’d like to do ambitious like it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment