Saturday 19 April 2014

Secret 7" Evaluation

Secret 7” bring together both music and art for a charitable purpose, selling 7” records with artist/student designed sleeves. The secret part coming from the seven tracks by seven different artists, these are kept a secret to the people purchasing the records because the sleeves only give hints to what the record is inside.

Create a record sleeve cover for one of the 7 artists and their tracks.

I choose to design for Lorde’s song ‘Team’ because I felt it was a song that I felt most comfortable with out of them all and it was an artist I listen too. It was just for a quick brief so went with what was familiar so I could get around to designing it faster.

For this brief instead of turning to illustrating it all via illustrator and making it all digitally I thought It’d be a good chance to try out doing everything traditionally instead, combining it all later on Photoshop. Doing this I felt created a completely different aesthetic to my work then I’m normally used to and I liked the outcome of it. The look and feel of it is probably what I’m most pleased about rather then the actual drawing it’s self.  

However my design didn’t get selected, although this year all the designs were hand picked by the judges. There were a lot of entries that I didn’t feel should have been selected, as well as that there didn’t seem to be overall that much variety in the ones that were picked, there was quite of a lot of very similar in aesthetic and some in design, which were picked. I found this to be discouraging.


Although I’m happy with the outcome and the concept, I do feel like I had better ideas but I turned them down because I wasn’t able to illustrate it fully how I would have liked so I gave It up and instead went with what I ended up with. I wish I had carried on through with my original idea of encrusting the throat with jewels and having them get mined. It was just too complicated for my to draw because I couldn’t find any reference imagery to see what it’d be like to look from inside the throat through out the teeth and mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment