Tuesday 14 January 2014

Design Production: End of Module Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD504               


 Module Title
Design Production


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

Adam Garbutt



1.     What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Design for Print:

In design for print I really pushed my self to get away from what I’m used to doing, in this instance printing my entire book via screen-printing which is a huge step for me personally to get comfortable doing it. Although I did learn a lot doing a tonne of new and different methods and processes that are available with in the college, I do feel I’ve grown as a designer because of it. Knowing the different applications that are available and how and what I can use them is something that’s helped me when it comes to new ideas for projects later. I now know how else things can be used and what for. On top of that I’ve become really confident with doing stuff like embossing, foiling, laser cutting on my own which is was the complete opposite last year.

Design for Web:

Although I had previously used dream-weaver long ago in GCSE, it hadn’t prepared me for design for web. Learning to code and build a website in the very short lessons was something that took me a month to get my head around, I got really excited when I finally made my website because it felt like a big accomplishment for me. I do feel like I could improve the website but I feel currently limited by my ability to code which is feel let down by.

Design for Print & Web:

I don’t know how I managed to pull off design for print and web, I really showed my self how far I can push my self in short period of time I had to create and produce what I had. With design for print & web I felt like I cultivated what I’d learnt in the previous two and combined them rather then learning more new skills like I did in them. It was maybe more about refining what I had already learned, layout (website) and consistency within my branding that I have improved within Design for Print & Web. From doing this brief however, I do feel more pushed to create more in a shorter space of time because I do know It’s possible most of all.




2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Mock-ups and testing out ideas before I committed to them most definitely. It’s helped me an incredible a lot when it came to decision-making. I created multiple different binding examples as well as print samples to help me conclude my decisions on colours and format. It evidently helped me produce a much more polished finished product in the end. However, the sacrifice I encounted with this is, is that of a slowed work pace due to having to work around methods I used (screen printing) due to how time consuming it was. If I were to apply this method to say digital print It would have been a lot easier and faster for me to produce the work I did. It did result in me being much more happier in the work I did create however.





3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I’d say really this most definitely what’s already been said within the previous question, aside from that I would say my finishing and overall polish of my work has definitely improved and became a strength over the course of the module, I feel this was most evident within design for print due to the continuous mocking up and testing. But it was also in the case within Design for web too, my website I thought really stood up on it’s own and was quite a strong piece of work.



4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Blogging, Time management, Scamps. The three things I probably didn’t pay enough attention too even though I really should have. In the big rush to try and get things done before and after Christmas break I forgot to keep up on top of blogging, beforehand however I was really keep on top of it and then work took a bigger priority and I really regret that but I’m happy I managed to get the work done when I did.



5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

KEEP ON TOP OF BLOGGING. I got way to carried away within my own little world of trying to actually finish making my work that I left little room to blog, I’ll be able to catch up on other work instead of having to slog away on blogger which is terribly fun.

Juggle my modules better, I focused a bit too much on Practice over the past 2 months, I’ll be able to more relaxed by the end of module hand ins and not have to see 3am on my clock as much.

• Create my scamps and don’t get carried away with designing it, I’ll more of a back bone to work from instead.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



X

Punctuality




X
Motivation


X (end of module)

X (start of module)
Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced



X

Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group




N/A
The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment