Tuesday 10 December 2013

Design for Web: Website concept

My concept for my website is to have a website where you’re able to discover how to play different playing card games, I want it to be accessible easily on multiple platforms from iPads to laptops, as well as being able to be used easily by young children up to older people. All of this obviously influenced how I thought how my site would work when it came to drawing up my scamps.

I needed something to make the website to not look like it’s a gambling website otherwise it the audience wouldn’t see it was an appropriate site for their children to visit and use. For example, I used a game token looking icon for within the cards to represent one to two players instead of the typical heart or spade. Because of this when drawing scamps I was trying to disassociate from gambling where ever I could.

I picked red as my primary colour because It’s one of the most heavily associated colours with cards, I didn’t want to include black as the other colour because together they looked a bit harsh on the eyes, I desaturated the original red and decided to use a brown along side to compliment the red. The Typeface I picked because it looked very applicable to cards because of the slab serifs and how they’re associated with cards.

I wanted two main columns in the middle of my pages to fit the cards on the home page, but I wanted this format to then transfer throughout the rest of the website with a thin middle column to separate them both. As grid It allows me to easily keep a very consistent look but I gives me a good bit of creative range to work with in. The sitemap is rather basic because there aren’t many pages on the website because I’m wanting to fit everything onto them 4 pages.

I mocked up my website before committing to dream weaver so I knew what the rest of the website would look like, so I started on the homepage/ landing initially to get me started. As well as this I created the roll over buttons as well so importing all of this with the help of the wire frames was all streamlined.

I choose to use the heart and spades as a pattern to bring back the association with playing cards because I felt without having them there as a signifier the overall look of it wouldn’t say playing cards too much.


Although it’s something I can’t create with my knowledge as of yet with Dreamweaver, I would like to make this available to be used on an ipad and IPhone simply because of how It relates to my concept. Playing cards is something you do at a desk, not as a desktop computer. You’d want to be able to read and play easily with an ipad, or even with a printout. And that is how I would like to take the website and concept further.

No comments:

Post a Comment