Monday 30 December 2013

Design for Print & Web: Icons


I knew for icons I needed something to match the tone that I had achieved with the logo, thick lines, geometric. Circle based. So I designed with these in mind. 



As seen above, I drew the shapes from my design sheets using circles then using the shape maker tool to combine them altogether to create the fruit and vegetables. They were incredibly successful I believe and I'm really happy with the outcomes. 


Stem connected, Or no stem connected that is the question.

Stem connected. When I reduced the side of the icons they stem looked really out of place so I connected it so the icons remained consistent throughout.




Circle scaffolding to create the pear icon, I have to admit I really enjoyed creating my icons in this way because It was incredibly fast and easy to simply just draw circles and away I go It was really helpful in terms of speed and getting it done.



The corn grains where made using two intersected circles which I thought looked rather convincing.


Above: Reduced size.
Below: Enlarged.

I tried to create the icons to be effective large and small so they'd scale well to different mediums.


I created two different sausages, I thought doing the N shaped one would be distinguishable but I didn't really look.. right. So Instead I created the sausage to be like the one below which is like a traditional sausage instead of the deli type.


I did attempt to create broccoli but I simply couldn't create the branches on the top successfully enough so I gave up on it.



I really liked the mushroom icon but It did look a bit too much like a baby sucker but I think if you don't see that in it it does look like a mushroom. I just didn't want the stem to be straight otherwise It wouldn't really fit with the rest of the set.


My turnip ended up looking to much like a radish but never-mind. It's a turnip to me. 



Circle scaffolding for the garlic, although this one turned out to be quite a bit different to the rest I'm still fairly happy with it. It looks like what it needs to and that's all It needed to do so i'm happy.






The full family complete and sized. I'm really happy with how they all look together, I think they form a really effective set of icons and work really well in partnership with the logo.


No comments:

Post a Comment